NT Murano Glass
NT Murano Glass born in 2019 in Murano, the beating heart of the production of artistic glass, a millenary art.
Nicolò Trabuio, owner, belongs to a Murano family with roots deeply rooted in the glass sector. Parents have been managing artistic glass galleries in Murano for more than thirty years and the mother specializes in the creation of biojouterie such as necklaces, bracelets, earrings, etc.
After working for some of the most important Murano furnaces and glassworks, very young he decided to open a shop that would allow him to offer customers a selection of unique objects, made freehand by the most expert and deserving artists, following the ancient techniques of Murano glass art. Today more than fifteen artists are involved in this project.
History of glass
The processing of glass before the year one thousand was dedicated solely to the production of everyday objects and more precisely of fiole or blown glass bottles with a bellied body and a very long neck.
To speak of a real glass art, in fact, we will have to wait for 1271, the year in which the Old Justice judiciary, an organ at the time competent in the matter,
gave the so-called Mariegola (or Mother Rule) to the glass processing statute with which the rights and duties relating to the management of the arts and crafts in the city were defined.
In this first period, the production is mainly of table glasses, glasses adorned with small glass protrusions (morise) and fiole even if creativity and artistic imagination can already be seen in small innovations such as the chromatic decoration of glass with enamel paints.
In 1291, given the multiplication of devastating fires caused by the glassworks kilns in the city of Venice, the Maggior Consiglio decreed the movement of all the glass shops on the island of Murano which thus became the place of choice for glass processing.
In the mid-1400s, the art of Murano glass underwent an epochal turning point thanks to Angelo Barovier, a fascinating figure of artist / scientist who managed to obtain, through a real alchemical process, a new type of extremely clean and so similar in transparency to the crystal that he himself called crystalline glass (later Venetian crystal). This new discovery was unable to replace the colored glass which, in the meantime, had become a peculiarity of the Murano production, but certainly contributed to an incredibly refined transparency.
All this took place right at the beginning of the 16th century, called the 'Golden Age', during which the processing of glass achieved its most excellent results: it is precisely in this period in fact that the decorations of gold and enamels based on the works of Antonio Vivarini, Andrea Mantegna and Carpaccio.
Furthermore, in the 1500s new techniques were born and developed such as the very famous one of the filigree with retortoli and the filigree with reticello which perhaps more than all the others contributed to the diffusion and passion for Murano glass in the courts and aristocratic circles of all over Europe.
During the whole of the eighteenth century the Murano production was a riot of shapes and colors in the glasses and jugs, in the risers and in the glass frames of the mirrors, but to speak of a real rebirth it will be necessary to wait for 1861, the year in which the Abbot Vincenzo Zanetti will give life to Murano at the Museum of Glass Art: it will be in fact by observing and reproducing the ancient pieces preserved in its display cases that some master glassmakers including Toso, Fuga and Barovier will find inspiration and important suggestions so as to give new impetus to the sector through the reproduction of more beautiful blown glass from previous centuries and the execution of ancient processes such as those of the Roman 'murrine', fire enamels and decorations with gold leaf graffiti.
The twentieth century marked another great turning point in the history of glass making in Murano. During this period, in fact, the production began to take advantage of the creativity of great Italian and European contemporary artists, painters and designers, giving life to pieces of absolute excellence.
In 1950, thanks to the intuition of Egidio Costantini, the " Fucina degli Angeli " (so named by Jean Cocteau) was born, which made a leap in quality to the glass sector which from a handmade product became a real work of art. In this period artists of the caliber of Picasso, Braque, Chagall, Le Corbusier, Kokoschka (just to name a few) arrived in Murano and collaborated with the great glass masters such as Aldo "Polo", Archimede Seguso, Aldo Nason, Angelo Tosi , ...
This gave great impetus to the production of glass which will result in a new expression linked to the industrial world and characterized by a strong plastic realism.
Today, on the island of Murano, glass is an exclusive tool of expression, capable of giving shape and interpretation to the creativity of both those who work directly with it and those who design its shape and color. Even after many centuries, in fact, the inspiration finds in this material a perfect ally, capable of giving each individual object a particular and inimitable magic.